Saturday 7 November 2009

Genius


I ran across this great discussion by Elizabeth Gilbert (the author of "Eat, Pray, Love") and had to share it. I LOVE her take on genius and creativity - what it means and what it doesn't mean. According to Gilbert, if you think you are a genius, it really isn't about you or what you've done or what you've learned or how smart you are, and if you think you aren't a genius, it isn't about what you haven't done or what you can't do or how inept you think you might be.

What I love about this concept is it takes the ego out and puts humility in it's place.

So many times I let fear and doubt make decisions for me - this idea of genius being 'another', takes me out of the equation. If I make something beautiful or write something profound, it is a gift. If what I try flops, it's a learning moment.

It is so amazingly simple.

No comments: