Tuesday 22 June 2010

Dreams and Minivans

I came across a recent newspaper from my alma mater (as I was cleaning up piles of paper found all over the house) and read through it from cover to cover. I recognized only a few of the professors and absolutely no students, and it struck me that it has been fifteen (15!!!) years since I graduated from university. Reading through the articles and looking at the pictures reminded me of the feelings that I had when I graduated that the world was my oyster. The world was mine to explore, doors were opening up everywhere and life was full of opportunity.

Then, after the kids were in bed, I sat down on my front porch and saw our car and minivan parked in the front of our house. I realized at that moment, that in my mind's eye, I still am that 21 year old that graduated 15 years ago. I don't really see myself as a 35-year old mother of three children who has been married to the same guy for 15 years. But that is who I am, after all. Strange how our minds can trick us.

I also had the opportunity this past weekend to take a step closer to a dream I have had since a little girl. I grew up in a family that watched Hockey Night in Canada religiously every Saturday night. I was never a huge fan of the game itself, but I liked the pizza (which was also served religiously on Saturday nights) and I enjoyed the cuddle time on my dad's lap for those few moments. But, my very favourite part of the whole evening was the singing of the national anthems. For as long as I can remember, I have always wanted to be that person singing the national anthem. It would be a dream come true for me to sing "O Canada" at a national hockey game. This dream has long been stored away deep in my being, somewhat forgotten in the midst of the busyness of life. However, when my brother-in-law called me last week to ask if I would sing "O Canada" at the opening ceremonies of his firefighter's competition, that dream came back to life. I said yes, and came one step closer to fulfilling that little girl's dream:


Even though I am 35, and life is looking a bit different than what I thought it might look like, I still have a chance to follow some dreams. Who knows...maybe the Oilers are looking for someone to sing "O Canada" for their next season?

No comments: