Tuesday 8 June 2010

Finding the Joy


I just started this photography class last week and am loving it. I'm already behind in the assignments and it is only week 1...but the perspective is great.

The class is all about taking pictures of kids. And I do that. Alot. So I figured I could take quite a bit away from a class like this. And so far, I haven't been disappointed. I am learning about the ISO setting on my camera. I am learning about lighting. I am learning about seeing things a bit more clearly through my camera lens. I am learning about how important these pictures are.

And I am being confirmed that part of my job right now for my family is to document our lives. Before Eden was born, I was pretty adamant that I would go back to work. And I did. After Aaralyn was born, I was a little less adamant, but still sure that I needed to have the balance of work and parenting. And I did go back to work.

When Ephraim was born, that all changed. Something about that kid was so grounding for me, I knew that where I needed to be was at home with my kids. (not that every day was paradise by any means...). And being at home with my kids meant that I had to give up quite a bit. I had to accept the fact that my days filled with laundry and naps and diapers and snotty noses and temper tantrums and peanut butter sandwiches and reading books and dishes was just where I was at. And I had to let go of my identity as a music teacher. (there is a whole blog post right there - I will just leave it at that).

Somewhere along the way, in the midst of all those mundane activities, there was a shift. I knew this wouldn't be forever and now that I am out of the intense time of "three-little-kids-at-home" time of my live and moving into the "three-kids-in-school" time, I am able to breathe a bit and take these moments in.

Part of my 'mom' identity for me is to make sure that when my kids ask me about a little detail about their lives, I will have a record of it somewhere. I know that it is impossible to get everything down, and I'm not fooling myself that I will have all the answers. But in the end, our kids will know where they came from and the legacy that they can hold on to. That they are loved and valued beyond measure.

Their story for their lives begin with love, end with love and are full of love. And lots of joy.





No comments: