Saturday 6 November 2010

How was your trip?

I have been asked this question quite a few times since returning from Egypt a few days ago. And to be honest, I'm not quite sure how to answer the question.

The Great Pyramids of Giza, Cairo

Egypt far exceeded my expectations. I knew I would be awed by the pyramids, and have seen temples and heard stories about pharaohs growing up and into adulthood, but I had absolutely no idea how grand and majestic and huge these temples are. Each ancient tomb and temple we went to took my breath away - not only because of the beauty but also by how old these monuments are. Some of these temples were 5000 years old, took 1000 years to build and still were painted in glorious colour. It was amazing to be still in the moment and think of the celebrations and ceremonies that happened exactly where I was standing.

I used the word "wow" alot.

Karnak Temple, Luxor

I have also lived in big cities that have alot of traffic, but nothing prepared me for Cairo. This city is crazy. Our first introduction to Egyptian driving was on the way to our hotel in a taxi from the airport. I actually thought I was doing to die, literally. I thought at the time that we were quite unlucky with our choice of taxi driver, until I was there for a while and realized that he was a pretty normal driver.

Imagine 4 'official' lanes on the road filled with 6 lanes of traffic, each vehicle on the road with at least 10 mirrors so they could literally get within 1 inch of the other vehicles on the road.
Imagine each car honking so the drivers around them know they are there.
Imagine doors to minivans open with at least 18 people stuffed in there like sardines (with one hanging on outside the door for good measure).
Imagine a dad on a motorbike with his 4 year old in front of him and his wife and 1 year old sitting side sadle behind him.
Imagine donkeys with carts attached weaving in and out of traffic.
Imagine pedestrians trying to cross the street lane by lane as vehicles whiz behind and in front of them.
Now imagine all that happening at the same time - that picture in your head is pretty much the streets of Cairo.

And that was just the first hour.

Suffice it to say this really was a trip of a lifetime. We saw so very much history, learned so much about Egyptian culture, heard so much about my beautiful eyes (and how lucky a man Mike is), tasted so much 'interesting' food and felt so much of every emotion that we possibly could, our travelling tanks are full - very, very full.

Keep posted for more favourite stories and more favourite pictures. Trust me, there are lots of them.

On the shores of the Nile, southern Egypt

1 comment:

Terri-Lynn said...

Thanks for sharing. I've been waiting for an update here. Looking forward to seeing more.