Friday 3 December 2010

Reframing


"Reframing" to me, is just a fancy word for opening up our eyes to see beauty and joy and love all around us. It sounds easy, but we are inundated with literally thousands of messages a day that tell us we aren't good enough and we don't have enough.

It is hard to find joy in what we have been given when deep down we don't think it is enough.

It is hard to find love when deep down we don't think we are good enough.

It is hard to find beauty all around us when deep down we envy those who have more (or better) than we do.

And when I look at my children running into my arms, I realize that they are saying that I am good enough. And when I see my children happiest just being with each other, I realize that they are modelling the idea that people are way more important than things. And when I see their eyes light up at the Christmas lights in our neighbourhood at night, I realize that beauty is more about enjoying, not having.

Seeing the holidays through my children's eyes is one of my biggest challenges and one of my greatest joys.

No comments: