Friday 18 March 2011

Joy of Luck: Green

So yesterday was St. Patrick's Day...in case you hadn't realized.  Around here, the day progressed pretty much the same as usual. 


This included the conversation - that I have had, I might add, with Ephraim for the last few weeks day in and day out - after he finished his breakfast:


me:  "Ephraim, please put your dirty dishes on the counter".
Ephraim:  "But I never have to do that".
me:  "Well, today would be a good day to start, don't you think?"
Ephraim:  "No.  It's too hard." (with his voice becoming increasingly whiney)
me:  "It really isn't too hard.  You may not leave the kitchen until the dishes are put away on the counter."
Ephraim:   "But Mommy it's the girl's job!"
me:  "Who made the mess Ephraim?"
Ephraim:  "Not me." (as he averts any sort of eye contact whatsoever)
me:  "Ephraim, please put your dirty dishes on the counter."
Ephraim:  "Pffft."




Before we had the conversation, I took a look at that cereal bowl and realized that there will soon be a time when I won't be standing in the kitchen with my coffee in my hand having a conversation about dishes with Ephraim.  Pretty soon he will be going to school full time with the girls.  And pretty soon I will be off to work in the morning.


It is just a green bowl on a make-shift table.  But it represents the end of a phase and the beginning of a phase.  Who would have thought a simple conversation could be so profound?


And it did end up on the counter after all...

No comments: