Thursday 10 March 2011

Love from the Heart

Almost 16 years ago, Mike made a promise to me. He promised in front of a whole bunch of people that he would love and serve me with tenderness and respect. He promised that he would encourage me to develop my gifts. He promised that all that he has would be mine. And he promised that he would give his whole self to me.



Of course, a promise is easier said than lived. And when we spoke those words to each other, we had no idea what the journey ahead would look like. And some days that promise is easier to keep than others.
When I thought about the question "What has your spouse given or promised to you?", I realized that each and every promise he made to me that day, he continues to act upon each and every day.

Like when he holds me so very close when I feel like life is becoming just too much to bear.
Like when he shares a line from a book that he loves.
Like when he goes to work day after day.
Like when he speaks so highly of me to his friends.
Like when he jumps out of bed in the dead of winter to fill up the hot water bottle for me because I just can't warm up.

Like when he poses for photos when he really would rather be doing something else.

No comments: