Tuesday 13 October 2009

So very thankful



The thanksgiving weekend has come and gone. It was a cold one this year, with below zero temperatures, which made the warm houses feel warmer and turkey dinners taste just that much better. One of the traditions that we have in our home is to reflect a bit on what we are thankful for. The girls are starting to get the concept, which is great, but mostly it is a really good exercise for me to do (and model). A number of years ago, I was diagnosed with clinical depression and one of the exercises that I was introduced to during that time of my life was a gratitude journal. Each day I was instructed to write down 10 things that I was grateful for in my life. Often, because of the state of mind I was in, I wasn't able to find ten things (so I would just copy from the previous day). As the days and months progressed, however, I couldn't help but to find things that I was grateful for because, through this gratitude journal, I was training my brain to 'see' things differently. I found myself filling up pages at a time of what I was thankful for each day. This was such a powerful experience for me, I have tried to continue that particular exercise (with varying degrees of success!) It isn't an everyday occurrence- sometimes there is time for only once a month reflections, and sometimes it is more difficult than others. Whenever I engage in this sort of exercise, however, my world seems to come alive with blessings. Here's my list for this Thanksgiving (in no particular order):

my kids. my family. my home. church. health. my parents. Mike. my computer. good friends. beautiful things. fresh flowers. markers and crayons. food. coffee. vehicles. blogs. inspiring women. furnaces. the sunshine. sweaters. candles. chocolate. music. unconditional love. the dentist. freedom. wine. beer. pretty paper. the Bible. prayer. time with my kids. baby kisses. life. my camera. work. art. books.

...and the list could go on and on. Take the time to make a list for yourself and put it up somewhere where you will see it every day. Not only will it remind you of what you are thankful for, but it will teach your brain to see your world through different eyes.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: