Thursday 6 May 2010

A Week in the Life: Wednesday

The quote of the day goes to Mike, who hasn't quite got the vision of what I am trying to do. After taking my 47th picture today, Mike said to me, "I think this is bordering on obsessive-compulsive, Carla". Love it! (and him, too)

I saw ali's finished album today, and although I am getting a bit tired of taking so many pictures and writing so much down and feeling like I am giving my life over this week to this project, I am so very inspired and have a renewed vision of why I am doing this.

These pictures are life. Where we are at right now. What we are doing right now. What life consists of right now. What is so great about this project is that it makes me so very present oriented - which is exactly what I need. It is so easy for me to get caught up in thinking about what is yet to be, what the future holds, what needs to be done. This has been very grounding for me. And the timing couldn't have been better.

So, here is what our Wednesday looked like. So full of amazing moments that I won't forget because I have it all in photos+words. (what I wouldn't give for this kind of documentation from my own childhoood.) It is all so worth it.

Our little dragon growling at himself first thing in the morning. I woke up to him saying over and over again (in a very meek voice), "I fell in the toilet. I fell in the toilet." And sure enough, he had fallen in the toilet. Luckily it was before he went pee.

Mike shaving in the morning. I love the morning rituals.

The daily 'putting-the-dishes-away-from-the-night-before-because-I-didn't-want-to-do-any-more-housework'. It just seems so much easier to do it in the morning.

And the lunches are made in the morning, too. My mom used to make them all after dinner the night before, but I just can't make myself do it. Lucky for me, Eden loves 'heat-ups', so it makes throwing food in their lunch boxes a little easier.

Ephraim and I getting ready to head outside. I had hoped to get a run in, but after a few unshoveled sidewalks, I just gave up. I guess I am a fair weather jogger. This explains the extra few pounds I gain every winter.

We decided to stop at Second Cup while we waited for MEC to open up this morning. Ephraim passed the time listening to the workout music on my ipod (and drinking a hot chocolate). I have so been loving the time I have to spend alone with Ephraim. I have never had this experience with my kids before, and really love the one-on-one time that Ephraim and I get. These moments are so awesome.

Stopping in at MEC, looking for some new hiking boots (unsuccessful, but informative).

Back home again - Ephraim absolutely loves puzzles, and spends quite a bit of time doing them.

Aaralyn's home!!

Off to run some errands in the van.

Cooking dinner. This is probably one of my favourite smells - garlic fried in olive oil. And the kids will eat all of these up in a split second. Note to self: chop up two bulbs of garlic if there is to be any left for the adults...

After dinner, it was time to catch up on folding laundry in the basement. This is where the 'out of sight, out of mind' often works against me.

Wednesdays are bath days in our house. Ephraim usually begins in the tub, Aaralyn joins in later, and then once Ephraim is out, Eden jumps in. We always hear lots of laughing, lots of bubbles and lots of play. Definitely the 'family bath'.

While Ephraim was in the tub, the girls went outside to build a snow-person appropriately named "Mr. Snow". I love how Eden and Aaralyn are each other's best friend.

After the kids are in bed, I spent a bit of time working on a few other projects in the craft room. If I am not behind the computer, I am usually sitting here...

We went to check on the kids before going to bed ourselves, and saw this. I often will just sit and look at the kids when they are sleeping, knowing that they will grow up way too quickly. Love that these moments are captured on film...

4 comments:

david heacock said...

Amazing Carla. Love this.

Unknown said...

Beautiful Carla!!!

Unknown said...

Really awesome Carla, I'm really enjoying this!

Unknown said...

Very cool. Awesome pics, I wish we had the time to do stuff like this! I love the version of Use Somebody, better than Kings of Leon!